6.04.2008

poor kid

yesterday my sister and i took desmond to our pool.  long story short; he wasn't so thrilled about it.  i think it was a number of things.  one, it was super bright outside and desmond hates that.  two, the water was kind of cold.  three, and probably the biggest problem of all was that i had layered a thick coat of sunblock on his face and he started to rub his eyes when we got out in the sun and rubbed all of that sunblock right into his eyes.  ouch.  he started to cry and well, that was the end of that.  we brought him back upstairs and gave him a popsicle to make him feel better.  poor little guy. 
*to all of you mothers.  how do you put sunblock on your kids face and not get it in their eyes?  

7 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

Since my boys have super sensitive skin, I get the AVEENO spray stuff and I just cover his eyes and spray and then try to rub it in really quick before they can smear it to their eyes. We had a similar experience where we had to leave the pool because SM was screaming when he got it in his eyes.

claire said...

The kind that is like a big glue stick or chapstick works pretty well. I avoid the brightest time of the day in general, and then I don't feel like I have to cover their whole faces, just across the cheeks and nose, and then it's below their eyes and won't run in when they get wet. The chapstick kind is more solid so it seems to stay put better.

Glad you had fun with your sister. I don't have any sisters :-( so I'm always jealous.

Maeve said...

Try a hat! Thats what my sister always did.-Maeve

Anonymous said...

I'm learning so much about sunblocking the babes! Maybe a sweatband on his head so he could be Richie Tenenbaum. One thing is for sure, Dez needs the sunblock in a big way, he's a fair one.

I sure do love the popsicle face.

Jeff and Rose said...

Gotta go with Maeve. I got my kids some really wide brimmed hats (try Target). They work great. I also use a little of the Neutrogena Kids Spray...just kind of mist over their face before I slap the ol' hat on. I am not a fan of sunscreen on the face--at least until they are old enough to stop the "smear".

Jacki said...

I don't know about the sunblock question, but I do know that Popsicles make everything better!

BagLady said...

move to Utah so that you don't have to deal with the Atlanta sung and heat! Yeah, I know we have it too but not yet, lady.