9.10.2008

lime cornmeal cookie


in my opinion, one of the best cookies around is the lime cornmeal cookie found at the star provisions bakery on the west side of town.  i have wanted to find a recipe for a long time that was similar, and with a few tweaks, i think i finally found it.  

ingredients
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
3-5 tsp lime zest
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/ 4 tsp salt

directions
1.  preheat oven to 350.  line baking sheets with parchment paper.  
2.  in large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  beat in the 1/4 cup sugar, lime zest and vanilla.
3.  in separate bowl combine flour, cornmeal and salt.  gradually add to butter mixture until a cohesive ball of dough forms. (after this, i refridgerated the dough for about a half an hour)
4.  roll about a tablespoon of dough into a 3/4 inch ball.  place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.  flatten slightly with palm of hand.
5.  bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.  cool on rack.  makes about 3 dozen cookies. 

*i frosted mine with just a mix of milk, powdered sugar and lime juice.  it was more of a glaze, but it turned out yummy.  

9 comments:

Julie said...

OOh, those look yummy! I have a recipie for Lime Meltaways if you wanna try it :)
We had fun today too! Thanks for letting Em eat all your melts!

jwr said...

i just might try baking those... or perhaps convince dan to (he is the baker in the family). wait, how do you have time to perfect a recipe with a 1 yr old? impressive!

wendy_d23 said...

Yum! I saw something just like that on Martha Stuart recently, she used polenta, which is pretty much the same thing. She piped them and everything and it looked hard though. I will have to try.

Lucie said...

These look delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

HAB said...

can't wait to try these little numbers! that is a favorite memory of atlanta for me - the ones from star provisions. thanks for working out the kinks and figuring out the recipe jenny!

Jacki said...

I love this cookie! My taste buds and expanding waistline thank you!

Jan said...

I've been thinking about these cookies ever since you posted them, I'm hoping to make them soon. When I have a moment to actually breathe.

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

I love lime...I am going to try these!

charles said...

I love those cookies at Star! well..."loved" them.
thanks for the recipe. will try them as soon as I can translate "cornmeal" into Dutch.